Download my Resume as a
I am currently available for a new hourly Ruby on Rails or Node JS engagement.
I can work on-site in downtown Chicago or remotely, some travel possible.
I am NOT OPEN to hearing about salaried employment opportunities.
EDWIN W. MEYER
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. B.S. Electrical Eng. National Merit Scholar.
Harvard University. Graduate extension school coursework in expert systems, C++, object-oriented programming, and discrete mathematics.
http://www.edwinmeyer.com – My professional web site.
http://linkedin.com/in/edwinmeyer – Includes recommendations from colleagues.
http://github.com/edwinmeyer – Contains several tutorials, coding and design demo projects.
Highlights of my fifteen+ projects since 2008, all involving Ruby on Rails with a mix of primarily server-side and ancillary technologies plus front-end development.
Nutrien Ag Solutions (Loveland, CO) 2018 – 2019
· Assisted with the development of a web portal to integrate the activities of employees and customers of a large agricultural producer and retail vendor in North America and worldwide. Development began in early 2018, and portions went live only a few months later.
· Performed primarily Ruby on Rails and Node JS API development.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 5, Node JS, Express, Postgres SQL.
University of Illinois Medical School (Chicago, IL) 2017 – 2018
· Updated an existing Ruby on Rails web application deployed on Heroku that allows medical study managers to create and schedule a suite of messages to be emailed to study participants. Updates include implementation of user roles and multi-tenancy, which allows a single application instance to host multiple studies.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 5, Postgres SQL, Heroku.
Home Access Health Corp. (Hoffman Estates, IL) 2017
· Provided initial design and implementation of a Ruby on Rails web application pending hiring of permanent resources. This application is a port of an existing PHP web app. that allows health insurance customers to order lab test kits online.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 5, Amazon Web Services, Single Sign-On.
Pinnacol Assurance (Denver, CO) 2016 – 2017
· Member of the Online Development group of Colorado’s largest issuer of workers' compensation insurance policies.
· Performed development and bug fixes on a suite of Rails web applications that allows employers and agents to manage policies and claims by injured workers.
· Temporarily assigned to the Business Support group to investigate and fix issues related to both the Rails and legacy Oracle Pro*C web applications. Familiarization with a wide variety of subsystems to make fixes with a minimum of support.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 4, Oracle SQL, Git, Rspec, Mac OS X.
Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) 2015
· Performed development and bug fixes for a legal document management system produced by Huron partner Allegory Law.
· Worked primarily remotely, interacting with the lead Allegory developer in Oregon.
Cars.com (Chicago, IL) 2014 to 2015
· Performed analysis, maintenance, and build-out for Auto.com, a high-volume AWS-hosted multi-server application that provides new and used auto listing search to the public.
· Worked on-site and remotely as part of a small team located in Chicago and Austin, TX.
· Analyzed performance using New Relic and other techniques and proposed & implemented web app response improvements.
· Implemented app monitoring features in the ActiveAdmin UI.
· Documented briefings by departing general manager and others.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, RSpec, ActiveAdmin, Amazon Web Services, Sphinx, Vagrant, New Relic, Mac OS X.
Venture Interactive (Harrisonburg, VA) 2014
· Designed and implemented a custom authentication scheme for a legal compliance training content management system in multiple languages using the Devise Ruby gem.
· Implemented custom authorization for access to various resources based upon the user's role and project-level & language access.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Devise, Linux, RubyMine.
Op4G (Portsmouth, NH) 2014
· Added new functionality and fixed bugs in the admin and public websites for an online market research firm.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Linux, Resque, RubyMine.
McDavid, Inc. (Woodridge, IL) 2013 to 2014
· Assumed responsibility for deployment, maintenance, and improvement of the hybrid Rails/Windows Server website of a sports protection equipment manufacturer.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Capistrano, Refinery, Ubuntu Linux, Windows Server 2008, IIRF.
Sears Holdings Corporation (Chicago, IL) 2012 to 2013
· Designed and implemented features of a REST API that mediates between product orders placed on partner web sites and internal Sears services which perform fulfillment.
· Implemented order tracking features in the Admin UI and order status reports.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Mongo DB, Git, RSpec, ActiveAdmin, Jenkins, Jira, Mac OS X, Agile Methodology.
Local Offer Network (Chicago, IL) 2012
· Designed and implemented Bayesian and other statistical modules for automatic categorization of new advertiser offers. Created a test program to analyze performance of the categorizers.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, Mongo DB, MySql, RubyMine, Git, RSpec, Mac OS X.
Aon Hewitt Corp. (Lincolnshire, IL) 2011 to 2012
· Designed and implemented new Ruby on Rails functionality for extensions to an existing health insurance sales and customer relationship management system and companion public website.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, RubyMine, Subversion, Mac OS X.
Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) 2010 to 2011
· Designed and implemented a radiation exposure management system in Ruby on Rails.
· Interviewed radiation safety section staff regarding existing paper-based system.
· Performed analysis and design. Implemented the replacement web application.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, Ubuntu Linux, HTML, CSS, Subversion.
Metromix.com (Chicago, IL) 2009 to 2010
· Designed and implemented the mobile version of a leading entertainment website targeted towards the 21-35 age group in Ruby on Rails.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Mac OS X, HTML, CSS, Haml, Git.
Venture Interactive (Harrisonburg, VA) 2008 to 2009
· Designed and developed the “MoodManager” Ruby on Rails web application to help users cope with depression. Delivered to the Northwestern University Medical School.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Subversion, Adobe Flash, Apache, Phusion Passenger, Windows XP (development), Linux (hosted Red Hat/Ubuntu).
· Digimarc Corporation (Burlington, MA) & Polaroid Corp. (Bedford, MA) – Analysis, design and implementation of several drivers license systems. (Java J2EE & C++)
· Lotus Development
Sales Engineer - Munich, Germany.
Provided support and trainings in German on Lotus Notes for value added resellers and customers.
Principal Software Engineer - Cambridge, MA. C-API development for a database product.
· M.I.T. Project MAC (Cambridge, MA) – MULTICS operating system development including: ARPANET software interface, graphics system, system internals.
· Competent in German; studied Russian.
· U.S. Citizen.